Search This Blog

Thursday, September 19, 2013

You know you're old when...........

......someone calls you "feisty".  That's definitely code for you're energetic, but old.  That's what one of the young(er) teachers I always meet in the locker room called me today, as I was regaling her with tales of people I can't stand in the pool -- the ones with no lane etiquette.  And believe me, there are plenty.  But she did add I had "attitude", which I took as a compliment.   

"Hey Nancy, hi!" called one of the young lifeguards when I walked onto the deck this morning.  This was young "M", someone I hadn't seen all summer.  Hi, I waved back as he ran over.  "Where have you been?"  He told me he had secured a better-paying job at City Hall for the summer and was now back at school, but that he had "really missed" me.  I guess he meant my mouth, which I never censor with these cute kids who could be my grandchildren.  I say all the things they are thinking, but can't say........things like:

"I don't get how these heifers get to take up a whole lane when there are only four of them in the aqua-jog class.  And what kills me is they never lose any weight.  They just get bigger and bigger!  And by the way, if I wanted to look like the instructor (about 12 and the size of a hippo) I'd take her class," I added just for thorough meanness.  Thought M was going to fall in, he was laughing so hard.  After talking my ear off, he finally went back to work and I got to my laps.

Earlier, the teacher had asked me if I took one of the classes?  "Are you kidding?" I raved.  If you ever see me in one of those classes with those broads, shoot me," I clarified.  What are people thinking?  The problem with an aqua class is that no one ever puts his or her head underwater, so they don't get a really good cardio-vascular lung and heart workout.  They work their limbs, but they don't have to "breathe" underwater, so don't expand their lung capacity sufficiently to increase it.  One thing I know, I will not die of a heart attack.  I will die of "heart failure", as everyone eventually does, but not an acute attack. 

There is a wonderful camaraderie at the pool.          

No comments:

Post a Comment