Search This Blog

Thursday, September 26, 2013

A shocker

"Eight-and-a-half," she replied, when I asked if she had any grandchildren yet.  Whaaaaaaat!!!!  I was blown away.  This is a woman I see every morning at the Y -- she getting ready for work, I schlepping in for my swim. 

I have seen her almost every day for two years and although we chit-chat, I didn't really know much about her.  Having met grandson, she asked me if I had had him this week.  "No, just Sunday," I replied.  That's when she dropped the "eight-and-a-half" on me.  And do you have any yet?  Yeah, a few.........quite a few. 

Much younger than I, she revealed she had started her family early and had had four kids.  Assuming she could not possibly be, I indelicately asked if she were with the same husband?  Yep, same guy.  I was very impressed.  There she was, about 51 years old, four kids, almost nine grandchildren, still working and still married to the same guy. 

As I said, admirable.   

No comments:

Post a Comment