Search This Blog

Sunday, September 29, 2013

And there he was

Up at 5:30 this morning with grandson and after pancakes and playing, it was time for a little "screen time" while I caught my breath.  What did I tap into?  Mr. Rogers. 1982.  Can't believe it's still on in re-runs, but thankfully is.  Watching it, grandson became quiet and serene because that's how Mr. Rogers spoke, slowly and quietly.  I was mesmerized. 

Googling him, I learned he had died in 2003 at 74 of stomach cancer.  Seems so young, now that I am 66 and B is 72.  One feels one's mortality mightily. 

Fred Rogers was a Presbyterian Minister and an educator.  He was also a professional puppeteer.  His sweater is in the Smithsonian Institute.  He was awarded 40 Honorary Degrees.  The guy was superb. 

I hope they continue to run his wonderful shows.  Keeps us all calm.       

No comments:

Post a Comment