Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Really?

People don't know how to prepare a squash?  Every day The Globe and Mail publishes a three- or four-step recipe on how to cook something -- complete with drawings.  Today it was squash. 

How simple can it be?  Just wash it, cut it, core it and bake it.  Don't even need a dish.  Gee, kids are sure missing out on home ec classes -- such as we used to have in grades seven and eight.  Those classes -- and my mother's and grandmother's knees -- were where I learned to cook.  Back then, the boys took home ec, although unfortunately we didn't get to take shops.  At least they learned something.  Funnily enough, I am much handier than B, whose strengths lie elsewhere.  When it comes to even hanging a painting, I do it.  Easier for him than to have me yell at him for "doing it all wrong".

Back to squash.  "Excuse me, but what is that and what do you do with it?" a young mother asked me in the checkout line a few years ago.  Her cart was filled with processed foods, her toddlers fat.
So I told her.  "Really?!  Even I could do that," she added.  I watched her cart and kids as she ran back to get one.  "And they're really cheap!" she said in victory. 

Good for her.  Maybe she has since graduated to baked potatoes?   

2 comments:

  1. Haha. I do remember those Home Ec classes. After we baked and ate some casserole or other, our rival group of girls iniformed us that they had hidden a piece of pork fat in our casserole. Though I never admitted it, I do recall tasting and yes, swallowing something very odd in that meal. I still hate to bring it to mind, almost as much as the unfortunate scissor cut I made in the material which was to be my new jumper. Right smack dab in the middle of the front of the piece, I had no idea what to do. Too embarassed to even explain it to my Home Ec teacher, I decided that the jumper needed buttons down the front...big round buttons, and alas, big enough to fit the hole I had made in the damn outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned to mend and sew in home ec as well. The best gift I ever received when I first married was a sewing basket. Gave one to each of my children -- male and female -- a few years ago. My basket is overflowing with "stuff" -- now combined with my mother's from her basket. Invaluable.

    ReplyDelete