Search This Blog

Saturday, November 9, 2013

We must have done a couple of things right

"Regret" was the theme of 'Definitely Not the Opera' on CBC Radio this afternoon.  The host ventured into the streets of Toronto and randomly asked people what theirs were.  Without exception, each said it was a broken relationship with a parent. 

How lucky B and I are.  Every day, one, two, three or all four of our children are in touch -- either by phone or email.  I consider it a miracle that any of them even talk to us, after the imperfect parenting job we did.  When your children are young and you are raising them you try and imprint your values.  When they are adults you must back off completely.

What a joy it is to be a grandparent.  What a joy it is to hear the phone ring and see that it is one of your children or grandchildren calling.

Huge gifts.   


1 comment:

  1. Nothing, positively nothing is more important than
    children, step grand children, nieces, nephews, cousins.
    Family is family no matter how small or large.
    I would rather be with my two sons than anyone in the whole world. We have gone around the World together alone - and I thank God I had that experience with each of them. Of course, I have adopted ones also. Your right Nancy, great post. !!! Hugs, B.

    ReplyDelete