Search This Blog

Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Coffee World

Remember when coffee was just coffee?  I mean, you went somewhere -- anywhere -- and ordered "a coffee".  Didn't matter what kind it was, what was in it, where it had been picked, who picked it, or even if it were good or bad.  A coffee was just a bloody coffee.  Horror of horrors, we even drank instant!  No longer.  There has sprung up an entire coffee universe and I don't get it.  I probably don't get it because I haven't had a coffee in 45 years. 

The last time I had one was in my office at IBM Canada in Toronto.  Half way through it, my heart started racing and racing and would not settle down.  It was the most terrifying episode I had ever experienced.  My colleagues rushed to my aid as I sat there gasping.  In those days, every office had a nurse and she was summoned.  After about a half hour, my heart resumed normal beating. 

Apparently, caffeine and I don't get on.  I experience "extrasistoles".  So that was it, no more coffee. 

Drive by any Timmy's and you will always see a huge lineup.  Is there heroin in the stuff?  And then there are Starbuck's, Second Cup, Java-Java...........and on and on.  They're even opening a Timmy's in Afghanistan!  People are very stuck on their coffee and it has to be "just so". 

Me, I'm a tea granny.  That and water, water, water -- to which I sometimes add scotch.        

No comments:

Post a Comment