Search This Blog

Monday, February 3, 2014

Feel-good stuff

Adding gnocchi as a final touch to the turkey soup I was making this morning, I marveled at the fact that an hour earlier, the carcass for this creation had been an ugly bunch of bones, sinew and skin in the freezer.  I never throw anything edible or salvageable out.

Watching B's Houston son-in-law toss the remnants of an entire bird into the garbage a few years ago made me literally wince.  There was so much potential remaining.  Food prices in Calgary are scandalous, which is why the thrifty homemaker needs to pinch every penny until the Queen screams.  And don't even think about buying seafood.  Landlocked as Calgary is, a measly bag of frozen shrimp is about $25.

Having been sick and unable to swim for a few days, I miss it terribly.  One swimming website I just visited said that rigorous and habitual swimming can take 20 years off one's chronological age.  I believe it.  "Your age is one number," said my doctor the other day looking at the results of my physical, "but your body is another.  It's much lower."

Can't wait to get back into the pool. 

 



        

  

2 comments:

  1. "Scandalous" prices?? Couldn't agree more. I'm now retired and at 62 fall between the cracks for US Medicare until I'm 65. Having dual citizenship, I thought I'd reclaim Canadian residency for the required five months, then spend then balance of the year back in the US. I would qualify for "free" Health Care - "OHIP" here in Ontario.

    I've been here a month and I believe I'm losing money. Gas in Georgia when I left was $3.15 per US gallon. Here in Toronto it's $4.84 per US gallon. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts that run $2.99/lb everyday are $10 and up here. Pasta sauce near double. Fast food, way more. TAXES!!!!! Whew!!! Can we talk?? Vehicle insurance - 50% more.

    I don't think I can afford Free Health care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The View From Hats and HeelsFebruary 6, 2014 at 7:15 AM

    Toronto is dirt cheap compared to Calgary, but Ill still take health care.

    ReplyDelete