Search This Blog

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Once

That's all we went and yet were invited to a special afternoon of music, wine and food at 'The Bear's Den' today.  Frankly, I was surprised to have been invited because we are not regular patrons.  Every time I drive to Cochrane, about three times a week, I pass this famous restaurant but until about a month ago had not frequented. 

When we did I was quite impressed.  Steak tartar was on the menu, naturally I ordered it.  Then I chatted up the waitress and the manager and bored them stiff as we enjoyed our meal.  Maybe they thought I would be the perfect boring guest this afternoon, hence we were invited?  In any case, it was one of the more pleasant afternoons I have spent.  Met head chef, John, and told him how crappy the steak tartar was at "Notable", a tony Bowness restaurant run by snooty Michael Noble.  "He doesn't use tenderloin," I said.  "How can that be steak tartar?"  It can't, he agreed.  This afternoon we enjoyed champagne and wonderful wines, as well as risotto, roast beef and yorkshire, many varieties of cured meats, veggies, fruits, skewers of Cornish hen, shrimp, smoked salmon and oysters on the half shell.  The whole event was superb. 

Spotting a young woman with gorgeous red heels, I decided to chat.  "I love shoes," she said.  "So do I," I replied.  We launched into a talk about how shoes make the outfit, etc......"I went to a party at Christmas and was asked to take off my shoes," she told me.  Whaaaaat??!!  Never.  We both lamented the crappy dress of so many Calgarians.  I am sure I spotted 15 brands of ugly jeans this afternoon -- and this at a very classy restaurant.

And don't even get me started on the hideous footwear the majority of women were wearing.  Absolutely gruesome. 

I have given up worrying about being over-dressed in Calgary.  Wore my gorgeous Chinese silk jacket (see blog of November 5th, 2010, "Marvin Gaye and Chinatown").  I am always over-dressed -- or is that appropriately?        

1 comment:

  1. what? nOTHING ABOUT THE CLOSING OFTHE
    OLYMPICS????

    ReplyDelete