Search This Blog

Monday, February 17, 2014

Cultural fun

The food was delicious.  Went with my friend "K" for dim sum in Chinatown today.  I had not eaten authentic dim sum in Calgary, but Dr. K knew exactly where to go for the best.  The place was packed with generations of families, as many Chinese restaurants are on Sundays and holidays. 

We talked about how it was for her to arrive in Canada age 12.  "Do you feel Chinese or Canadian?" I asked.  "I kind'a feel in the middle," she replied.  We also talked about the vastly different cultural norms between Chinese and Canadian families.  Canadian-born grandparents generally don't look after grandchildren all-day-every-day; once or twice a week is lots, thank you.  Chinese grandparents?  All-day-every-day is normal.  "I want you to promise never to take me in to live with you if I get sick," said my mother about 10 years before she died.  "You know how difficult it was with mother," she added, talking about the fact that her parents lived with one of my aunts. 

Heck, I didn't know it was difficult?  I thought it was great having grandma and grandpa around all the time -- she of the always-full-of-candy purse.  She spoiled us beautifully.  We all adored grandma Stapledon.

I am grateful for the wonderful women I have met at the Y, Dr. K being one of them.  A reader of my blog, she said, "I can't really figure you out?  Just when I think I know how you think, you completely throw me off," she laughed.  "You know K, I am traditional, but not conventional."  "That's exactly it," she replied.         

1 comment:

  1. Very positive and interesting post. I think she got it right.
    Hugs, B.

    ReplyDelete