Search This Blog

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Tick tock tick tock

The heartbeat of the home is back.  My wall clock is again beating and rendering our home "human".  I had not realized how central it was to my well-being until I had to live without it for several weeks.  I bought it at an Ottawa Valley auction about 25 years ago and mounted it on an antique clock shelf in the living room of our then-house.  And there it stood and ticked......forever.........until it didn't. 

Rumaging around the internet, I found a Chinese clock guy and took it in -- along with about 10 old-fashioned wind watches, which had also stopped working.  $1,600 later, they are all back in fine fettle.  Today's battery watches have nothing on my beautiful clock and its ticking cousins.  One of my most prized is my great-grandfather's Waltham railway pocket watch, which I wear as a pendant.  An American, my great-grandfather toted around the likes of Buffalo Bill and his troupe.  He also knew Frank and Jesse James, so I still have one foot in the Wild West when I wear this beautiful timepiece. 

Speaking of time passing, yesterday was the 50th anniversary of The Beatles first appearance in North America.  I remember it as if it were yesterday.  "Hey man, want to play a set with us," said a very young George Harrison in Liverpool's Cavern Club to B back in 1961.  He was visiting family and his cousins, being gorgeous BOAC stewardesses, were seated at the group's table.  'The Quarrymen', as they were then known, were missing a drummer for the last set, Pete Best having become a tad too "over-refreshed" to play.  "Why not?!" says B and up he gets and plays.  A couple of years later, hearing them on radio in Montreal, he says, "hey, I know those guys." 

The rest is history...for all of us.  Just think, if B had become The Beatles drummer.......mmmmmm?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment