Search This Blog

Monday, December 15, 2014

Tidly

"She would be a tad tidly by the middle of the flight, but always the lady," said my luncheon companion today.  He had been an Air Canada steward..."in the good old days"....for more than 30 years and had served on seven Royal flights.  This one concerned the Queen Mother.  "There were always only two in first-class, Her Majesty and her lady-in-waiting, who happened to be Princess Diana's grandmother, Countess Elinor Beatrix Lady Spencer. "And there were always two of us to serve them," he added.  

Man, this charmer had tales of the rich-and-famous up the ying-yang.  He had a few unmentionables about some wives of PMs, which unfortunately will remain untold.  We were at a lunch at The Ranchmen's Club, hosted by two of the most generous people you could ever know.  Every Christmas "M" and "P" host the volunteers who work at their sprawling ranch in Bragg Creek for under-privileged children.  Why I was invited, I have no idea, but I was thrilled to have been.

"I wait all year for the scalloped potatoes," said a woman ahead of me in the buffet line.  The board was groaning with shrimp, lobster, turkey, dressing, roast beef, fish, salads of all kinds, scalloped potatoes and a line of fruit and desserts that stretched forever...and....on.....and....on.  The Ranchmens's Club boasts one of the most celebrated chefs in the country.

As the lunch ended, there was a draw for each centrepiece.  Guess who won ours?  Moi.  It was fixed by "M", but I was thrilled.
This is what I "won".  Gorgeous. 


Yep, there are some very cool people in Calgary.            

1 comment:

  1. so very very happy for you. How wonderful not only to have had a fab lunch - but win the center piece. You can send it to me cause you have so many. I will be very generous and offer to take it off your hands!!!!HA.

    ReplyDelete