Search This Blog

Saturday, December 14, 2013

I'm with Jodi

"It is the height of tacky to invite guests to your home and then require that they remove anything more than outdoor attire."  This by Jodi Smith of 'Mannersmith Etiquette Consulting' in response to the question of "to remove shoes or not".  Let me tell you, if I went to a party dressed-to-the-nines and the host or hostess asked me to remove my shoes, I would turn around and walk out.

Shoes make the outfit, as I always say.  I would only remove mine if I were invited to a dinner in Japan.  Otherwise, they stay on.  Apparently, people sink to the depths of handing out "guest socks" for people to wear because they want to protect their precious floors and carpets.  Hey, don't have parties.  Reminds me of old friends who collected uber-expensive carpets and proudly ushered guests into a special room where they were laid out in all their majesty.  "Oh my G-d!' shrieked the wife when I ventured to actually step on one.  "Don't put a foot on that," she screamed, grabbing my arm and nearly toppling me over.  It was all so completely ridiculous.  I mean, why put rugs on the floor no one can even brush with a baby toe?  

"It's one thing to ask me to remove my boots during a snowstorm, but another to ask me to remove my heels at a cocktail party where everyone is dressed up," adds Smith.  People banning shoes need to say so in the invitation so people like me can not go.

So, that's my advice as the holidays descend.      

1 comment:

  1. You are positively correct!!!Unless you are invited to a Muslim WEdding in Malysia - there you check your shoes at the door - they are put into a bag and you are given a number!!!! All dressed up in a long gown - by the by
    only the Women removed their shoes I believe!!!
    Have a good one. B

    ReplyDelete