Search This Blog

Friday, December 20, 2013

A Death in the Family

No tick-tock-tick-tock.  After about 25 years, I was very concerned when the clock I had purchased at a perfect Ottawa Valley auction stopped ticking and tocking.  It also stopped bonging on the half hour.  What to do?

I molly-coddled it for many days, coaxing it into life, but alas to no avail.  It would tick-tock for a few minutes and then stop.  So I went online and googled "clock repairs in Calgary" and called.  "Bring it in," the guy said.  So this morning I did.  I reluctantly left my "baby" there and the clock expert will call with the diagnosis, but I miss that clock fiercely.  Having been so used to its regular tick-tock and chiming, I feel lost in the house without it.  It's sort of like a heartbeat.  That clock survived the trip from Ottawa to Calgary in the back of a huge moving van and when I took it out of the box more than two years ago, it began to happily tick-tock away. 

Not lately.  Also took in a few antique watches from great-grandfathers and great-grandmothers, which have stopped performing, as well as a vintage 'Cartier' which B owns.  We'll see what the damage is, but I will definitely have my wall clock back in fine fettle.

Hopefully by Christmas.   

No comments:

Post a Comment