Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

No One has a Brain Like that Anymore

"Nine tenths of the people are created so you would want to be with the other tenth." 

This marvellous comment was made by British Parliamentarian and writer, Horace Walpole, 1717 - 1797. Who has a brain like that today?  Every now and then I look up someone famous to see how much more brilliant than your average Canadian.  Here are a few more gems from Walpole:

"The world is a comedy to those that think, a tragedy to those that feel.

"The Methodists love your big sinners as proper subjects to work upon.

"Poetry is a beautiful way of spoiling prose, and the laborious art of exchanging plain sense for harmony."

The Globe and Mail publishes excellent quotes every day, which is where I get my inspiration for looking up the authors.  What I discover is a far cry from, "Whaa's up?"  And if the word "like" didn't exist, most people would remain mute.  Ditto with "you know?". 

All very depressing, compared with the wit and spleen of yesteryear. 

1 comment:

  1. jcould'nt agree more. If I hear the word like once more in certain peoples conversations - I have to become mute - otherwise I could scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year. Much love to you both. Such a great couple, such a wonderful family. I have been working in Politics for the first time in about 29yrs and it has been wonderful. Think about you a lot. hugs, B.

    ReplyDelete