Search This Blog

Sunday, December 22, 2013

If we didn't have Christmas............

....we wouldn't have a reason to gather.  Even for people who are not believers, Christmas brings families together.  What a joy it all is!  

As an adoptee, I am the one who fixates on family -- both birth and adoptive -- at all times, especially at Christmas.  As I have blogged, my cousin who I love and adore, has been coopted by his wife and taken away from me and I am grieving this Christmas, but am focussing on the positive.  Thanks to facebook, I have connected with B's nephews, grandnephew and niece.  They are wonderful and today both B and I called his grandniece in Scotland; he connected, I left a message.  What a joy it is to talk to Brenda's grandchildren! 

Brenda was his sister.  Having led a wild and raucous life, she left half her brain on a tree in England when her sports car crashed.  Her partner of the time was convicted of attempted manslaughter (he tampered with the brakes) and spent time in prison; Brenda was left a prisoner in her own brain for thirty years before she died.  She had been an absolute beauty who dated the likes of Roger Moore and Patrick McGoohan.  Went to private school with Princess Anne, yeah, that's the kind of English "bird" she was. 

Today I had an hour-long chat with my Aunt Helen, who had been married to my birth mother's late brother Charles.  As the years fall away, I am so grateful I have a connection to Shirley, my birth mother.  Apparently, I am just like her. 

No kidding.    

No comments:

Post a Comment