Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Forty years ago

That's when I found my birth family, the McKegney/Latimers -- the former from Kingston, the latter from Kemptville.  When I found them, I discovered my birth mother had died at 49 from lung cancer (she had been a smoker).  That devastated me, but I did meet her brothers, sister, cousins and uncles.  Frankly, when I met them I was very happy they had not kept me because my life would have been very different and very blue-collar.  But it was wonderful to know genetically from whence I had come.

Since then, I have kept in touch with a few of them, but since they are not your "family", you do drift apart.  One I have always been in touch with is the widow of my Uncle Charlie Latimer, Helen.  Today, while typing a long letter to her, I decided to call her.  "Hi, it's Nancy," I said.  "Hi," she enthusiastically replied in greeting.  We had a 50-minute chin-wag and I was delighted.  She, although not part of my birth tribe, has always been a huge supporter.  As I have said, my birth mother, Shirley Latimer, had me when she was 19 and sadly could not have other children when she finally married.  I was her only issue. 

Now 85, Helen sounded the same as always.  We laughed and chatted as if we had grown up together.  I learned that one of my uncles had died and the aunt I never liked was in a nursing home with Alzheimers.  This woman -- my mother's sister -- did not like me and did not want me contacting any of her five children -- my cousins.  Did she think I was after money?  I asked Helen today.  "It's too bad they did not get to know you," she replied.  "Their loss," I said.

So, we all have interesting stories.  As an adoptee, I am very grateful I was able to find my genetic roots.  Here is my birth mother, Shirley Latimer:

 
 
         

No comments:

Post a Comment