Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A different kind of fashion statement

When I saw it on the silent auction table a few years ago, I knew I had to have it.  But the hooded sweatshirt with "Ottawa Police" emblazoned across the front, along with the force's official crest, evidently appealed to a lot of us at that charity dinner.  I put a bid in, but had to keep running back to see if anyone had upped it.  A few bids later, it was mine. 

When they saw it, both my sons laid claim.  "A woman doesn't need to walk around in an Ottawa Police hoodie," they said.  Obviously, I hadn't raised them correctly.  Yes, boys, this woman does. 

I wore it to the pool this morning and it's amazing what an effect it has on people.  Young men who might have pushed past me now stepped back and held the door.  The receptionist on the desk said, "Whoa, Nancy.  What's that police shirt all about?"  "I'm full of surprises," I replied, not willing to tell her how I got it.  In the locker room, other women stared.  "Yikes, she must have been a policeman back in Ottawa," they had to be thinking because it is the real mccoy, not a fake. 

I plan to wear it more often.  You get a lot of respect when people think you are a cop. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment