Search This Blog

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Farewell to brave souls

After having survived a punishing spring, a mid-August brutal hail storm and yet battling valiantly back from both with gusto, my flowers died today.  Actually, I killed them.  This was the day I yanked them from their pots and tossed them over the fence into the tall grasses in the field back of our house.  The only solace I have is that they will be compost and will help nourish the beautiful wild field I so enjoy.

I could almost hear them.  "What are you doing?!  You planted, fed and watered us and we rallied for you after that brutal beating.  Here we are blooming in all our glory and you're ripping us up!  What the hell are you doing!!??  Yes, it was sad and I hated doing it, but Fall comes and one has to. 

So, now they lie strewn across the back field, still hanging in there, still thinking they are growing, roots attached.  But soon they will realize they must die.  I also took in the Muskoka chairs, the garden fairies, the lights and the ceramic pots. 

With frost coming this week, summer is over in Calgary.      

No comments:

Post a Comment