Search This Blog

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Camera eyes

Watching a commercial for glasses, I marvelled again at the fact that I no longer have to wear them.  Started needing reading glasses in my twenties and things progressed to full-on glasses 24/7.  I purchased contacts, but still had to don reading specs for close-up work. 

That was where I was at until about seven years ago, when I was told I had cataracts.  One eye was far-gone enough that the doctor told me I qualified for an artificial lens.  Presto-chango, 15 minutes in an out-patient operating room and I had a perfect eye.  No pain, no blood, nothing.  But this "eye" was focussed for medium and long-range vision; still needed reading glasses. 

Two years later, the other eye developed cataracts.  Lucky me!  "I want the other eye to be focussed on close-up and medium," I said to the doctor.  "You won't like that," he replied.  "Yes I will.  A friend of mine has two different focusses and she loves it."  So he agreed.  My left eye is now focussed close-to-medium, meaning I can read a phone book with no problem.  The brain quickly finds a way to figure it all out and compensates perfectly for distance or close-up. 

I absolutely love not having to wear glasses -- ever.  And of course, eye strain doesn't exist because I have little machines in my eyes, not real eyes.  I can swim and do anything without worry, these babies are just about indestructible. 

Pray for cataracts.     

1 comment:

  1. I really didn't want reading glasses. So I got contacts...one contact rather...mono vision as they cslled it, where using one contact for reading, it would govern my sight while I was reading, and when I need to see afar, my other (normal) eye took over. In theory, it was genius. In practice...well not so much. I'm back to reading glasses around my neck.

    ReplyDelete