Search This Blog

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Talk about concentration..........

The guy remembers every hole in every tournament he ever played.  Amazing!  Just watched an hour with Jack Nicklaus on 'Charlie Rose' and I was dumbfounded.  Not only does he recall every shot, he rhymes off the length of each hole and who he was playing.  115 professional wins, 18 majors -- that's what we're talking about. 

He went through year after year, club after club, which one he used on which hole, how the one iron is his favourite, how he knew this shot was hooking left or right -- always on purpose -- when he tried a new putter and what happened, what the weather was like, who was his caddy, what they talked about, when he changed his game just a touch here and there........it was something to behold. 

"I always try to play smart on each hole, never risky.  I don't take chances and I never play anyone else, I just play the course and fit it to my strengths."  Easy to say, but impossible to do.....I am told.  He thinks Tiger has the talent to beat his records, but after describing what Woods would have to get under his belt from here on in, now that he is 38 years old, I can't see it.  "I didn't say he'd do it, I just said he has the talent to do it," he added.  No, not enough time.  He'd have to pull off another 11 professional wins and four more majors and I don't think it's possible at his age.  Too many young guns nipping at his heels. 

What I liked about the guy was that he doesn't take himself seriously.  He takes golf seriously, but not himself.  A dedicated family man, he didn't miss his kids' important events and is still married to the woman he wed in 1960, when he was 21.

As someone who eschews golf, I was impressed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment