Search This Blog

Sunday, April 21, 2013

I can't walk in these shoes

This is the usual refrain B hears when we go out.  "I'm going to put that on your tombstone," he quipped the other day.  Well, it's true, I can't walk in most of my evening high heels, but I'm damned if I'm going to stop wearing them.  Ironically, B is the one who buys me shoes whenever he travels and encourages me to do the same. 

So it was again last night, when we attended the 103rd Annual Convention of the Alberta-Northwest Territories Knights of Columbus State Council dinner.  I was wearing my classic, black suede heels in which I can't walk too far or fast.  He dropped me at the door. 

Man, what an event!  More than 600 people crowded the ballroom of the Coast Hotel to enjoy the party.  The Knights are a world-wide Catholic charitable organization and give a ton money to everyone and his brother.  The program pamphlet contained messages from Stephen Harper, the Lieutenant Governor of Alberta, Alison Redford, Mayor Nenshi, the Apostolic Nuncio (a guy we used to have dinner with in Ottawa), every Archbishop in the region, Supreme Knight Carl Anderson...and everyone in between. 

I wore all black, something I don't do very often these days, because I wanted to wear my Parisien Richard Robinson rhinstone-studded choker and nothing can really compete with it.  Bought it when step-daughter Sarah got married in 2002 for the rehearsal dinner.  Never seen anything like it before or since -- a real show-stopper -- that always elicits many compliments.

We sat beside friends from Nigeria, Francis and Chinelo, who I overheard speaking something very weird.  Turns out it was "Edo".  He's an engineer and she's a teacher.  Both very, very charming and funny.  Francis and I laughed practically the whole way through when the speeches went a little over-the-top -- which was often.  Some people thought they were on stage at the Academy Awards!  But all in all, a very pleasant event.      

No comments:

Post a Comment