Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Centred again

Got back into the pool this morning after two weeks of not being able to swim.  A lingering low-grade chest cold kept me away.  Afraid to peek at the scales, I found I had only gained two pounds, a small victory.  Felt like a fat slob until I saw the evidence.  Phew! 

It feels great to get back into it.  "Centred" is how I'd describe it.  And of course, there was a lot of socializing and catching-up to tend to, which I enjoy immensely. 

Flipping through the paper this morning, I see that ads for camping and golf are in full force.  I participate in neither -- the former because it's just too hideously uncomfortable and too much work and the latter because it's unplayable.  I mean it.   I remember camping as a ridiculous way to suffer through an otherwise pleasant weekend.  I did it because my first husband loved it and I thought -- dutiful wife that I was -- I had to jump right into it.  The number of weekends I spent soaking in a sleeping bag, surrounded by puddles in a tent are too numerous to recall.  All that ghastly schlepping to hair-raising public showers and toilets!  Beyond bearing.  And trying to produce meals on a bunsen burner?  Ludicrous. 

As for golf, who can play it?  Even the pros stumble around in "slumps" (code for "I can't play anymore") year after year.  Who hits the ball consisently straight and long every tournament?  The problem with golf is that the physics are all wrong; the ball is too small and the club too long.  It's all a nasty joke perpetrated on the rest of the world by the cruel Scots.  I'd rather go out and set fire to money on the first tee, than invest in clubs and paraphenalia.  And the outfits!?  Please.

Speaking of outfits, I made another pair of goucho pants for Spring and Summer.  These are brightly flowered with huge blossoms all over; the last pair were solid emerald green.  Luckily, I found a very easy pattern (Butterick #5044), just two pieces exactly the same back and front, so you just fold the fabric and cut both at the same time.  No zippers, pockets, waistband, facing, lining -- nothing, just an elastic waist.  Love both.   

   

  

1 comment:

  1. Had the same exprience with camping. It's about being eaten alive by spiders and mosquitos.!!!!!!
    NOT FOR WE HAT GALS.

    ReplyDelete