Search This Blog

Thursday, November 8, 2012

A very strange couple of systems

More folks voted for Obama than Romney, but the Republicans have the majority in the House of Representatives and will continue to thwart Obama at every turn, even though the Democrats have a slim majority in the Senate.  Nothing much has changed.  So say the "pundits" who have blathered non-stop since the polls closed. 

In Canada, we have a prime minister for whom a decided minority of Canadians voted, yet he is the prime minister because he heads the party with the most seats.  That's what a multi-party and first-past-the-post system, such as ours, produces.

So, the difference is the US president is the favourite, yet has little power, while the Canadian prime minister is not the favourite, yet has all the power.  Is that about it?  I think so.

............................................................................................

On another completely unrelated note, I swim with an absolutely adorable young woman.  In her early thirties, she also happens to be completely and breathtakingly gorgeous, with a smile that lights up the whole place.  We chat regularly.  This morning, as we showered, I finally asked her what she did.  Fully expecting this bubbly gal to tell me she was a receptionist or the manager of a restaurant, she said, "I'm a geologist with an oil company."  Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather.

That's what it's like here in Calgary; successful young women litter the place.  Gotta love it!

    

1 comment:

  1. This Canadian Prime Minister is my favourite and I believe is behaving very wisely. Starting
    and including India in our trade business is very very wise. Like me I believe he realizes that the Great USA is walking on a slippery slope economically - the future is with India,
    China, and perhaps Brazil.
    Of course I learned from my late husband NOT to vote for any one party - VOTE for what is best for CANADA at any given time. The Liberals were in too long and Power Corrupts!
    Right now at this very time in our history give me the name of ONE Liberal who could fill
    Harpers shoes????



    ReplyDelete