Search This Blog

Friday, November 9, 2012

I fight with them every time

It was no use.  I tried once again to apply false eyelashes for an event yesterday and failed.  I even went on-line to see what I was missing.  "Just use tweezers and drop them onto your lid, then hold each end with your fingers."  That's what the instructions said.  Except that holding them, I was blinking furiously, so they didn't stick.  Drat!  What's the bloody secret?! 

So, lost the battle of the lashes and went out wearing only my own -- slathered, albeit, with gobs of mascara to cover up the glue that stubbornly remained.  No way was I going to wash my face and start all over! 

The event was an art show at The Ranchmen's Club.  After slogging for almost two hours through a ruthless snow storm -- normally a 20-minute drive -- in we finally dragged, so late B had to find a place to park blocks away.  "Oh dear, you should have told me," said the receptionist as I stood, tapping my foot and waiting.  "We have other spots I could have freed up."  Now she tells us. 

The Ranchmen's has a fabulous art collection and this night members were asked to "vote" on various pieces the club was considering purchasing.  What an evening.  Hosted by the club and "gratis" for members and guests, the food was amazing.  Chef Kenneth Titcombe is a genius and produced everything from generous strips of tenderloin to spring rolls, shrimp, to groaning plates of stuff I-don't-even-know-what-it-was, to cheeses, meats, exotic goodies and desserts galore.  The wine flowed, as people mingled, inspected the paintings and voted.

I once again chatted with one of the high-powered women I had met at a dinner last Spring, she of the Armani jacket I coveted.  "This is another Armani," she said, as I drooled over it. 

As I have said, Calgary is full of beautiful, talented, successful women.        

2 comments:

  1. You are too funny for words!!! The last time I wore false eyelashes was for Joseph Maingot's
    Osgoode Hall graduation Ball. After many hours of dancing a group decided we decidedly needed some chinese food. While laughing, as I went to scoop up my one/ton soup - I thought in horror, OMG there is a spider in the soup!!! My future husbands friend said "No I think it's your right eyelash!!!!!!
    Never wore them again.
    What a fabulous evening at the "Ranchmans"
    I think however, there are talented, beautiful
    successful Women everywhere. It's about time?

    ReplyDelete