Search This Blog

Friday, November 16, 2012

Who makes this stuff??

I mean, "Tempura Tilapia Tacos with Mango Hot Sauce"......or "Braised Pork Belly Tacos with Kiwi and Cilantro".  Or how about "Wrapped Tostado Achiote Chichen with Fiesta Taco Sauce"?  The recipes are ridiculous.

Every now and then I pick up a copy of the latest recipe mag in the local liquor store.  The above are the kinds of stupid menus they feature.  "Moroccan Spiced Chicken, Shredded Carrot and Goat Cheese Pita", is another dumb one.  And who wants a heaping helping of "Pear, Apricot and Ginger Crumble with Cardamom Goat Cheese Ice Cream"?  Not me!  Not anyone I know!  Did you know cardamom can "make everything better"?  Geez, I didn't!  And man, you just have to taste "Cardamom-scented Broth with Shitake and Swiss Chard Dumplings".  Please. 

I now peruse the magazine for comic relief because I'd never make anything in it.

CBC's 'The Current' had a great guest on this morning, Steven Poole, an "anti-foodie" author from England who has just written a book decrying the obsession with food.  His book is entitled, 'You Aren't What you Eat:  Fed up With Gastroculture'.  It was an hilarious interview.  They played a clip of a satirical sketch, with a couple ordering chicken in a restaurant and asking about the chicken.  "His name was Colin," the waitress said.  "He was raised on a pure diet and roamed freely on four acres about 30 k's south of here."  She even produced his papers!  Hilarious. 

When I am preparing root vegetables and supermarket stew, I will remember this farcical look at the food-obsessed.         

No comments:

Post a Comment