Search This Blog

Thursday, November 15, 2012

My father's legacy

"Did he really!" said the gentleman to my left at The Monarchist League dinner this evening.  He was taken aback when I told him my father had invented the de-icers on propeller planes during the war.  Bob O'Connor had been a Canadian pilot in the RCAF and had relied heavily on those de-icers.  He was amazed that my Dad had been the inventor of these life-saving devices, still used on all prop planes to this day. 

"We could not have won the war without being able to fly in all kinds of weather.  The de-icers made it all possible," he added.  It's sort of weird that I am a link between this pilot who relied on de-icers and the guy who invented them.  I was so proud of my Dad this evening. 

What a giant.

No comments:

Post a Comment