Search This Blog

Monday, November 26, 2012

A sacrilege

I know it was a sacrilege, but I was rooting for the Argos yesterday.  Afterall, having "partied" with them in Regina and having been given 50-yard-line tickets, it was the least I could do. 

Sitting here in our woolies yesterday, watching the first half, I said to B, "Really, here we are in Calgary and we're plunked at home watching the Grey Cup.  We have to go to a sports bar and take in the crazy atmosphere."  So we did.  I ditched the "woolies", got dressed and off we went.   

But by the time we got there, it was obvious the Stamps were just not having a good day.  The atmosphere I was seeking had been replaced by decidely-glum-and-saturnine.  We sat at the bar -- always the thing to do in a sports bar -- and enjoyed the big-screen TV.  It was "oh no!" and "what did he do that for!" from all corners.  "I'm actually an Argo fan," I recklessly said to the Dublin-born young manager, who had stopped by to chat.  "What!!  You better not let that out in here," he cautioned.  "Are there any other Argo fans in here?" I asked.  None.

The guy sitting beside me chimed in about the game.  "I detect an accent," I said.  "Are you a Quebecker?"  "Oui."  And so ensued a great chat in French we both enjoyed, each of us surprised to encounter a fellow french-speaker here in the West.  He kept looking at the door.  "Are friends joining you?" I asked.  "No, I'm waiting for someone I met on-line.  She's a gorgeous black woman and I'm excited," this slight, wiry fellow offered.  Ahem.  "I'm supposed to meet her at 6:30, but if she isn't here by 7, I'm leaving."  I told him to hang in there, that she'd be a little late so as to not look too anxious.  Sure enough, as we were leaving the parking lot, B said,"There she is, that's her just arriving."  Wonder how they hit it off?       

Anyway, chatted away with the manager and low and behold, he "comped" our entire order.  The guy actually covered the order of an Agro fan on Grey Cup day in Calgary.  Actually, I have to admit that happens to me not infrequently here.  Why, I have no idea?  But as B says, "Nancy talks to everyone."

Try it, it does pay off.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment