Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

It was a sacrilege

The women's locker room at the Y went deadly quiet, as all eyes turned to train menacingly on me.  All I had said was, "Well, maybe Alberta needs a sales tax."  This was in response to Karen's lament about the province's growing deficit and her what-the-hell-was-Alison-Redford-going-to-do-about-it rant.  "Alison Redford," I added, "knows as much about what to do with the deficit as your average NDP-er,"  I recklessly asserted.

You can't even breathe the words "sales tax" here without being stomped upon.  Thanks to the sainted Ralph Klein -- who wildly gave away money on a regular basis -- Albertans have no clue about the link between services and taxes.  They have relied way too heavily on the whimsical price of oil.  And we all know how that has (not) worked out. 

I had no idea that Alberta sold its oil to the US for $60/barrel, while the international price is $80.  What's up with that??!!  I am sure some economist will explain it to me -- like my husband -- but I will still not get it. 

There are some here who advocate a penny tax.  A penny on everything would add $350 million a year to Calgary's coffers -- nevermind what it would reap should the province adopt it.  But you can't even utter that!  When you think of the pennies lying around on the ground, the pennies in our drawers, the pennies in our pockets, the pennies in our piggy banks.........I mean, there is a lot of money lying around and most of us don't even bother to stoop to pick it up.  We wouldn't even notice a penny tax, were it to be introduced. 

But never in Alberta.         

 

6 comments:

  1. Albertans aren't the people who have no clue about the link between services and taxes. I remember being at a cocktail party where one woman was gassing on about how much we were all being gouged tax wise and how she was so hard done by when another guest calmly asked her what she was willing to give up to lower her tax burden.
    Of course she was willing to relinquish nothing. She still wanted all the advantages and services taxes provide but felt someone else should pay. "Who?" the guest asked.
    Anyone but me! She revieled herself to be a loud mouthed blow hard with no clue about anything past the tip of her nose...and this just for you Nancy, she was blonde!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you meant Albertans aren't the "only" people who have no clue about the link between services and taxes. You left out "only".

    Well, of course you are correct. People everywhere don't make the connection between life and taxes. Duh! When people say "the government" they don't get that "we" are "the government". Duh again!

    Thanks, my friend, for explaining that this dope was a "dyed blonde". Typical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed, I meant Albertans aren't the "only" people who have no clue about the link between services and taxes. I'm sure many see Revenue Canada as the cave of Ali Baba, packed to the rafters with untold riches collected from the tax payers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you know, I used to work at Revenue Canada and believe you me, I was very proud to have been there. What the hell do people think taxes are collected for?! They are collected for the orderly running of a civil society.

    Yes, politicians squander some of our money, but if you don't want to pay taxes, move to Greece...or Portugal, or Spain.....etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now Now, lets not knock our European neighbours!
    They have been around one hell of a lot longer than we have. Lets just see if our civilization lasts 2000 years!!!!
    However, I do agree 1000% about paying taxes.My late husband (Economic adviser to C.D.Howe for 18yrs) always said the more taxes we pay the prouder we should be.
    Then there was this good acquaintance of mine who was married to one of our famous Canadian Ambassadors, whom left her. Following the divorce she rang me and complained saying "OMG you just can't imagine how terrible my life is now!!!!! So I asked what did she mean??
    She said I must pay (according to my new Accountant) over $750.000.00 in taxes) this Country is terrible!!!!! So I asked why is this Country terrible "you should realize how fortunate you are" - she said oh, Barbara you know nothing"!!! "In my Country I would never have to pay half of this" - she is from Cote'de Ivoire"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Another great Article Nancy, keep them coming.B.A.M.F.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who's knocking European neighbours? It's just a plain fact that they have completely screwed up. Read the book you are reading. These countries have family loyalties, not national loyalties. That's the problem.

    There was a reason Revenue Canada used to target ethnic groups for auditing. They did not want to pay taxes. Jack was right. It's a privilege to pay taxes in Canada. Bring them on!!

    I hope your friend who owed $750,000 either paid it or went to jail!

    ReplyDelete