Search This Blog

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Doubles

Enjoyed a fabulous afternoon at the Calgary Tennis Club.  Watched the Men's Doubles Tournament, it was amazing.  So fast! 

Today is our 32nd anniversary.  I can't believe it!  "But not always to the same woman," says B, when asked how long he has been married.  "I've been married 46 years, but not always to the same woman."  Very funny.  We were both married to other people, had our marriages annulled and here we are, having brought up four children with all the joyfully related catastrophes and blessings.  Man!

Back in 1983, B was given joint custody of his kids, unheard of at the time.  Then we actually got full custoday of Scott and Sarah.  Feature that.  Our lawyer and the family psychologist involved met on our case and have since teamed up -- regardless of the fact that they were on different sides of our custodial battle.  Their text book, by Bob Montague and Arthur Leonoff, is now part of the family law program at Canadian universities.  Royalties anyone?  Sadly, no.

Nevertheless, I am very grateful to have weathered what I have weathered.

      

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nancy,

    Congratulations on your anniversary. We'll reach the same mark next May! And they said it wouldn't last ha! Say hi to Brian for me.
    Let him know Bob's retired as of last December and is enjoying himself immensely!
    June Patry
    (Bob Montague's former secretary)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my G-d! June! We often talk about what you said way back then, "if you've got a nickel, she'll want half." We do laugh about it now.

      I think we knew Bob had retired. Wasn't he the best ever! A totally classy guy, so well bred. And so are you, by the way. You always brightened up what were depressing days with your great sense of humour.

      I didn't know you read my blog. I have so much fun writing it. More than 10,000 people all over the world read it. Amazing! I blog about what pisses me off -- so much material, ha!

      Delete
  2. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY you two wonderful crazy people.
    You set a great example of whit, charm, breeding,humour, and compromise. Your husband is a cut above the rest - and you are completely unique. While unpacking 50years of my life I came upon a huge picture album - there you were at the Rideau Club on my 50th -only 15yrs ago how time flys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Any-ho-hum you look exactly the same - except for the hair colour!!! Couldn't believe it - I kept staring. Wow you certainly could teach us all how to age. You and Grace both are gifted. Of course your daughter looks 22 -
    Again, hope you have 30 more years of novelty,
    music, love and laughted and all the blessings from God above. Yours always,
    B.A.M.F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember that party so well. It was fabulous! Everyone who was anyone in Canada's capital was there. I actually borrowed that dress. Man, I was so thin! I think I weighed 115 lbs! Never will be that size again.

      Jack was such a gentleman and a wonderful host that evening. We miss him so.

      Delete