Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Oh, give me a home..............

Yes, there are buffalo here.  And they love country music!  Chated with a guy at Dolly's birthday party and learned there is a huge herd of buffalo a hop-skip-and-jump from our place.  "There are only about a thousand head at the moment, but it's quite a sight," he told me.  Only a thousand head?!  Man, I have to see that!  "But you have to have the radio tuned into a country station and leave the car doors open so they can hear it," he added.  "They will come right up to the fence, they are very curious." 

Well, that would be an excursion if I ever have been on one.  So, off we headed to the buffalo ranch and sure enough, there they were.  Tons of them!  I was beside myself.  They are huge. And they actually did respond to the country music twang I had playing and wandered down to the fence, on which I was precariously perched with my camera.  I was whistling and calling them, until B said, "Nancy, for G-d's sake stop that.  They might stampede!"  In my enthusiasm, I just could not help myself.  It was pretty thrilling. 

Sadly, they will be gone from that location next year because of a new housing development that is going up there.  Apparently, the developers -- who must have got a real deal because of the location next to a buffalo herd -- don't want to be next to a buffalo herd.  Duh!  I hope they are just relocating, not closing down.  Here are a few shots of our adorable "neighbours":






1 comment:

  1. Nancy, you are too funny!!!! I can just imagine B saying stop calling them!!! To bad you didn't bring along a red cape - TORO TORO!!
    As I pack up my last 17yrs and wrap myself up in masking tape - I read your blog and it truly give me a great big laugh. Which I could certainly use right about now. I have never felt more alone in my life!!! Oh, well, what the hell, better days ahead!! Hugs, B.A.M.F.

    ReplyDelete