Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Maybe it is a curse?

"I'm going to think of it as a good luck charm," Canadian olympic gold and silver medalist, triathlete Simon Whitfield said about being the flag bearer for Canada at the opening ceremonies.  "I don't believe in all that curse stuff about carrying the flag."

I wonder if he might believe it now?  It was just so very sad that he crashed on the bike before he had even slipped into his shoes.  Wobbled and then right into a concrete barrier.  That was that.  But what a class act he remains.  "That's not how I pictured the script ending."  "Something stupid really, just a bad accident," said his coach.  He had come out of the water 15th, right where he wanted to be, he said, swimming with guys he couldn't usually swim with.  He had run to his bike, which he had modified with time-trial tires and time-trial handlebars, plus an aerodynamic helmet, because he knew he would have to make up time on the bike to catch the group led by the Brownlee brothers, explained an article I read this morning.

Although waterpolo has been scientifically proven to be the toughest of any sport in the world, triathlon is right up there.  (Not bragging, but daughter, Susanne, excels at both.)  When you think of the years and years of hard training Whitfield had to endure to get where he is, only to have it end so arbitrarily.  What a disppointment for him.  But when he crashed, injuring himself, what did he do?  He apologized to the racer he took down with him.  Just a class act. 

"I said all along, if I had a shiny object or not I was going to be at the park tomorrow, after I cheer on Adam van Koeverden as he chases down medal number four," he added.

I wonder if the "curse" will continue? 

4 comments:

  1. There is No such thing as a "curse"!!! If you are a Christian you do not believe in curses,
    unless of course you are Irish or Italian!!!!
    I agree Simon Whitfield is a class act. I thank you for writing this.
    A friend of mine from my Church called me today to ask if I was watching the Olympics - of course said I - she said "it is not wonderful how well England is doing"? I wish Canadians were more like the British"!!!!!!!
    I nearly went up one wall and down the other.
    Then she went on to sa " the trouble with Canadians is they are basically lazy and have very little drive"!!!!! Finally, I could not listen any longer and said "I think you should NOT live in Canada"! she replied "I wish I did not"!!!! Now that is the kind of Canadian we do NOT need. Can you believe I shut my mouth and put down the phone!!??
    Next time I'll tell her to write to you!!
    You always have the perfect answer> Great article as usual. Thanks for all of us. B.A.M.F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why are there so many English people -- primarily women -- who come here and bitch about everything that is "not like it is in England". So, move back! The laugh used to be that talented and well-off young men came from all over the world to study in England and earned an "LLD" -- "Landlady's Daughter" degree.

      And why do they still have those horrid accents 40 years after they de-plane?? Bugs the daylights out of me.

      If you compare the number of medals won by Canada and Britain, as per their populations, we are far ahead.

      Yes, tell that woman to give me a call!

      Delete
  2. You are the best!!!That woman em'd me last evening to say how rude I was in hanging up the phone on her ear!!!!!! Me?? Would I ever do that?
    Certainly NOT. Everyone knows that my phones are always maxing out because of battery's. She thought I was upset with her opinion!!!!! Please,I certainly was because she is from Ukraine and Italian parents, and was born here.
    First Generation Canadian - whereas I on my Mothers side an 5th Generation Canadian and very proud of it. My first husband was legal advisor to Parliament - and often we had to attend Embassy parties for the Speaker.The second time we attend the #2 of the British High Commission - the hostess started saying - oh isn't it horrible in February in Ottawa?
    Back home all the gardens are in bloom". Si I replied "why don't you return back home and bloom with the flowers"!!!!!! My husband took me home qucikly!!!Of course I was only 26yrs old then. Now, I would keep the water in my mouth - as these people are not worth the effort. Hugs, your old Buddie Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Introduce her to my blog. She will then know what it means to be "Canadian" and love it!

      Delete