Search This Blog

Monday, August 6, 2012

Remembering when.........

Watching the synchronized swimming this morning took me back.  I thought step-daughter Sarah would be perfect for the sport, so we signed her up.  She was very good and loved it.  I think she must have been about 10 or 11, but they had a lot of sophisticated moves to perfect.  You have to be a strong swimmer to even begin synchro, otherwise you would definitely drown.  Sarah was a real waterbaby, as were all our kids, so that part was nailed. 

The only thing I had to perfect was the hair.  Man, that was a challenge!  Today it looks as if they have their hair sealed under plastic, but back then I had to figure out how to make it stay in place underwater with a lot of turning and thrashing going on.  I used gel -- dumb because it's water-soluble -- and about a hundred bobby pins.  I think a lot of other mothers grabbed the bobby pins too because the bottom of the pool was littered with them. 

The final recital, or whatever they called it, was amazing.  To see all these young girls contorting themselves and looking like they were enjoying it was very rewarding.  Nothing like slapping a smile on your face while you are perilously close to drowning to prepare you for life in the office jungle down the road!

Later she tried to teach me a few moves in the lake at the cottage.  I managed a few back rolls and the like, but decided to stick to the easy stuff, straight lengths.  Man, that was a great place.  Nothing like swimming across the lake and back just for the fun of it. 

One other thing comes to mind.  I told our boys they could not possibly marry a woman who would not get her hair wet.  Think about it, you just can't.  That was a fatal test for a number of them. 

  

3 comments:

  1. Imagine poor Esther Williams having her hair set with Vaseline to keep it water proof and picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They said this morning that it is vegetable paste, which can only be removed in hot water, so it stays on in the pool. You should use that on some of your clients!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice Nancy,
    Here is what I remember...
    We used to use gelatin in our hair to hold in in place and we used the bobby pins to hold those stupid strips of sequins to match our bathing suits. The "costumes" they wear now in the Olympics are amazing. I am now teaching our children ages 3 and 1 syncro in our club pool. So far one has mastered a somersault and the other one still needs a little help. I would love to teach them more.
    Great memories of trying to teach the boys synchronized swimming at the lake after they informed me that it wasn't really a sport. They don't feel that way anymore, I can promise you that~
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete