Search This Blog

Friday, August 24, 2012

Is it just me?

There are grungy objects in my beautiful home I never see.  Like the kitchen sink.  I use it all the time, but never "see" it.  This evening, for some reason, I had a "one-off" gander at it.  Man!  It's gross.  My kitchen is spotless, but my sink is..........well, you know....When in my kitchen I am preparing or cleaning up food.  Why would I notice the bloody sink?  Read somewhere that your kitchen drain hosts the most bacteria in your entire abode.  Not even toilets compete.   And if you toss your kitchen rag (my darling father used to call them "rags" because that's what they did with old fabric in the early 1900's) on the overhanging tap, well, that's the second-most-bacteria-ridden object in your house.  Guilty!

I remember my own mother using the kitchen rag for everything -- from wiping up chicken blood, to cleaning knives, to wiping counters, to spot-cleaning the floor to wiping our faces.  She did the same thing with her grandchildren.  "Oh, don't be ridiculous.  You have to eat a peck of dirt before you die," she would proclaim if ever I commented.  Rarely. 

If you walked into my house, you would proclaim it "immaculate".  Guess not. 

Other endroits I don't notice?  Top of the fridge (I'm too short), tops of picture frames, stove hood, stove fan, stove back, chandelier crystals, top of the toilet-paper holder, toaster, kettle, mirrors, the tracks under door-frames, baseboards,...........I could go on.  Anyone with me here??  Is it only me, or are most women scouring toilets, yet ignoring the peripheral niceties of.....whatever?

My late mother-in-law, Edna Russell -- a woman I loved dearly -- used to "spring-clean" her home.  What did that entail?  A lot of work.  She took everything out of every kitchen cupboard and scoured.  She then re-washed every dish before putting it back.  She also washed walls.  Who does that?  She scrubbed and waxed floors on her hands and knees.  Her home was immaculate.  I used to sit in awe of her.  She was a very humble and wonderful woman. 

We all miss Grandma Russell.     



   

1 comment:

  1. You are a hoot!!! Just made my Friday evening.
    Talking about cleaning!! When you moved I am sure you cleaned. That is all I've been doing besides trying to find space for 35 paintings!!
    I just went out and threw away my kitchen sponge
    Then I poured Javex down the sink!!!!!!
    I'm not going to read you again at 10:57p.m.!!!!
    Good Night and Good Luck!!!! Hugs,
    Barbara Ann MacMahon-Firestone.

    ReplyDelete