Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Fungal man

Covered in a nasty, oozing red rash all over his body, he sat there as if everything were normal.  "Gee Jim, what's wrong with your skin?" asked one woman.  "It's a fungus," he replied.  She recoiled, as did everyone else on the balcony of the tennis club. A large empty circle formed around him, as we all nonchalantly sought other chairs and tables. 

Last time I checked, fungal infections were contagious.  But this guy was downright unconcerned.  He just sat there on a chair (I will never sit in again), enjoying the evening breeze, plastic gloves covering his hands.  I mean, come on!  If he's wearing gloves to protect himself from himself, what in G-d's name is he doing lounging around the rest of us at a tennis club??!!

Were it me, I would at least lie and say it was an allergy.  "You better see a skin doctor right away," said someone else.  "Oh, I have, it's getting better."  To my horror and alarm, he then wandered over and introduced himself, sticking out his hand to shake mine.  "You must be new members," he said.  "I don't think I should chance it," I explained to his revolting plastic glove.  I was mortified, he was completely undaunted. 

You could not make this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment