Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Dead people on facebook

It's disturbing when up pops a suggestion that you should "friend" someone who has been dead two years.  That happened to me this morning.  I clicked on him and there he was, happily married, kids, smiling face -- the whole kit and kaboodle.  I clicked on his wife and up came "J", grinning from ear-to-ear, declaring herself happily married to "M".  It was disturbingly jarring.

I remember his funeral, a lavish affair at the Royal Ottawa Golf Club attended by hundreds.  He was a very popular guy and an Ottawa fixture for decades.  Old friends came from all over the world to wake him. 

But then I thought about it.  I guess if you're dying, you don't think about "deleting" yourself from facebook.  And if only you have your password, your wife can't cancel you after you're dead.  But there should be some way because the last thing any of us would want is to be smiling out from the screen when we are six feet under, or dust in the wind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment