Search This Blog

Friday, March 7, 2014

Don't have one

That's what the chef said last evening when I asked if his mother missed him.  "I was raised in a lot of foster homes because I was taken away from my mother for abuse and neglect," he told me.  "Then I joined the US Rangers and it changed my life."  The Rangers are serious dudes.

I was enjoying the best gnocchi I have ever tasted and I asked to talk to the chef so I could compliment him and get his recipe.  When I make gnocchi they are usually quite firm.  Allan's were so soft and moist I could not believe it.  Apparently the trick is that he uses one egg yolk per potato and after boiling them, fries them in butter.  Oh yeah, that'll do it.  Butter.

As we parted I asked him if he had a family.  "I have a daughter and I see her two or three times a week.  I want to be the best father I can be."  I almost cried as we shook hands and parted.  You don't have to have a perfect childhood to be a great father.   

No comments:

Post a Comment