Search This Blog

Thursday, March 6, 2014

Pink Eyes

One of the scientists who invented Yukon Gold potatoes is an acquaintance of mine.  Sitting beside him at dinner one evening, I asked him how you tell?  "They have a pink eye," he explained.  "Without that they are just yellow potatoes." 

Reading the menu last evening, I saw "Yukon gold potatoes".  "Are you sure they are really 'Yukon gold'," I asked the waitress.  "They're supposed to be," she replied.  With that she called out the chef, who then trotted out one of these potatoes.  Guess what, they were not Yukon Gold, just yellow.  "They are our most expensive," he said.  When I told him that I knew the guy who developed them, he was flabbergasted.  He is going to call his supplier.

John, the inventor, told me that he always talks to the produce manager when he spots Yukon Gold that are not "Yukon Gold".  Apparently there are lots of imitations out there.

By the way, sitting beside us was the owner of another restaurant we have been to twice.  "I guess you can count on this being a good restaurant if you're here," I laughed.

Very hot in Palm Springs.  Going to visit Frank Sinatra's house today.   

No comments:

Post a Comment