Search This Blog

Saturday, March 29, 2014

A little fashion yaking..........

"Accessories are key.  If you don't mind showing off your waist (I don't much anymore), a slim or wide belt will help change the look of your dress dramatically."  This some of the advice from Jeanne Becker, fashion consultant for a ton of media in Canada.

I have always sworn by accessories.  They are the cheapest and most effective way to make a statement.  "Bracelets are fun, from a set of bangles to a large, dynamic cuff (one of my absolute favourite accessories).  Go for silver one time, gold the next and pearls after that," advises Becker.  Shoes have the power to transform your outfit."  This last piece of advice I completely swear by, which is why I have, and still wear, 75 pairs -- pretty much all high heels and many 30 years old.  Buy a good, classic shoe and it will continue to bloom in spite of undergoing repairs many times. 

This morning I snapped a few pictures out of both The Herald and The Globe and Mail of what I do and don't like. (Apologies for the quality of the photos.)

These I consider absolutely gorgeous.  But I would not pay $990 for them 'cause you can always find a similar pair much cheaper. 

These are just ugly. 

So are these.  The heel is too bulky and there is no toe cleavage.*  Completely un-sexy.

These are very cute, but why models have to stand pigeon-toed I have no idea!  Classless. 

Nothing need be said about these revolting efforts.
This authentic "David Yurman" bracelet can be had for $1,800.

My knock-off I bought in Bermuda for $200.  Everyone thinks it's a Yurman. 

Now, this is just completely ridiculous.  Do you think she could possibly cram anything more into the outfit!?  You don't know where to look!  Puts me in mind of some of Michelle Obama's monstrosities.  

And if you're this scrawny, please don't wear a dress like this.  Scary!  And where did her gorgeous mane of brunette hair go?  Now she's channeling Goldie Hawn -- but without the boobs.  Sad.

These are Andie McDowell's daughters, wearing Oscar de la Renta -- who else?!  Talk about perfectly gorgeously stunning.

p.s.  I have been wearing Oscar de la Renta perfume for 35 years.  So far, not one person has ever objected to it because it is made from the real thing.  It is cheap perfume that makes people sick.  You have to pay big to get it right.  
________________________________________________________
 
* A word about "toe cleavage".  In the early 1900s it was considered scandalous to see toe cleavage.  Reminded one of breast cleavage at a time when everyone was done up tighter than a trussed turkey to the top of the neck.  Personally, I love toe cleavage and most of my high heels have it.     
 

1 comment:

  1. Well before earth day starts and lights go out at 8:30p.m. Toronto time - have to say agree with 99%
    of your article. You must remember not all ladies can wear high high heels anymore - since I am almost blind it is rather difficult - so I must choose smaller heels which are very boring - none-the-less essential. Good article on the whole. Too bad everyone dones'nt stay 40 like you. Cheers, B.

    ReplyDelete