Search This Blog

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Where does this happen?

Chatting regularly with a young man (very) in one of the provisioners I frequent, I learned he is an accomplished musician.  (OK, OK, he worked at the Crowfoot liquor store.)  Charming and adorable, he was in the process of producing his first CD.  "Let me know when it's out 'cause I definitely want a copy," I said the last time I saw him.  "Give me your email address," he replied.  I did. 

Shortly thereafter he disappeared.  Months later he "friended" me on facebook and invited me to his CD launch party.  Unfortunately, we could not go, but I wanted to congratulate him so took him to lunch yesterday.  Amazingly, he was keen to go??!!  The kid is 24 and I am......well.......older.  A lot older.  Entering the restaurant, I introduced him to the waiter as "my grandson".  Travis cracked up.  But boy, did I have a great time re-discovering the world of my 20s through his eyes.  Upon reflection, there is no way this would have been perceived as "normal" had I been a man.   

I told him about my era -- boring -- but not to him.  The late sixties and early seventies were the vanguard of..........everything.  Women's Lib, sex, drugs and rock and roll.........you name it, we did it.  When I told him I had seen The Doors, Led Zepelin, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, The Band and The Moody Blues live for $5 a concert, he was blown away.  Let's face it, rock bands were way more accessible back then.

Sometimes you connect with someone regardless of age and just have a great time.  I now have an autographed copy of his CD which I will proudly trot out when he is famous.  As lunch went on, I forgot he was 24 and I 66.  He is what they call an "Old Soul".
     

No comments:

Post a Comment