Search This Blog

Saturday, June 22, 2013

A complete disconnect

That's what it's like for us during the Alberta Flood Epic.  Calgary covers a lot of real estate and we live in the northwest, way up Nose Hill, where life is as normal as normal can be.  Watching TV coverage of the Calgary floods, I can't even relate. 

"I live in that city?" I say aloud to the screen.  No, I don't seem to.  I am as concerned about the floods as people in other parts of the country.  I can get downtown in 20 minutes, but it might as well be 2,000 miles away in terms of what's going on here versus there. 

A number of friends and family have contacted us, wondering if we are OK.  We are.  All the flooding is downtown and in low-lying areas where the Bow and the Elbow run -- or rush -- at the moment.  In fact, I think I am actually experiencing 'survivor guilt' because we have been completely unaffected by the deluge.  Every morning I go to the Y, swim as usual, shop, dine..........daily life continues normally.  In spite of the hoarders, we have been assured that Calgary water is clean and safe.  How they manage that, I have no idea?

I am a tad concerned about my firefighter son-in-law, who is dealing with the situation.  But he and his colleagues are so competently-trained, I really have no serious worries.  People have started returning to previously-evacuated areas -- all good.  But the downtown is truly a disaster and won't be accessible until Wednesday at the earliest.  As I have said, I am blown away by Mayor Nenshi and the emergency personnel who have gone way above and beyond the call.     

No comments:

Post a Comment