Search This Blog

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Calgary is a parking lot

Found that out today when we ventured to Okotoks, just south of Calgary, to check out the Calgary Polo Club.  One of the most famous in the world, the club is renowned, so I thought it would be elaborate and full of people.  But no, it is just a big field and a bunch of barns.  In fact, except for the magnificent horses grazing here and there, it was deserted.

We were doing a reconnoitre in advance of an event we have to attend.  Getting there was a complete mess!  Who would imagine Okotoks would have a traffic jam?!  On the way back, decided to take MacLeod Trail.  Another parking lot.  If road work is a sign of prosperity, then Calgary is booming!  Took us an hour to go two kilometres.  All in all, travelling a few miles out of and back into Calgary took us the entire day! 

On another note, just listened to a great song by the wonderful Jeff Healey.  This genius died of eye cancer in 2008 at the tender age of 41.  B and I went to one of his concerts in Ottawa at the Arts Centre* and marvelled at his mesmerizing stage presence.  He played the guitar horizontally on his knees, but every now and then stood up and danced around -- to the loving cheers of his adoring audience. 

He was fabulous.  What a loss.   

*The Arts Centre is one of the most notorious anti-women bathroom venues I have ever had the misfortune to have to use.  At intermission, the line up for the women's hits Sparks Street, while the men's is non-existent.  Spotting my family doctor one evening, I asked for a note to permit me to use the men's facility.  He just laughed, as he breezingly sailed into the men's.  But seriously, it's ridiculous!  What the hell are we doing in there?!  Now I understand the building code has been revamped and many more women's washrooms are mandatory.  About time. 

Before we left Ottawa, I told B that unless he bought box seats that would permit me to go to the loo anytime I wanted, I would not set foot in the place.  He did.  So, for the last couple of years I enjoyed the comfort of a deserted women's washroom.  The only way to fly.    

 

No comments:

Post a Comment