Search This Blog

Thursday, June 27, 2013

I'm just gonna put it out there..........

In all the coverage and scores of photos and television coverage of the flood here, I have not seen one ethnic face among the thousands of volunteers.  They're all white. 

Is it cultural?  Everyone in hip-waders and masks, hoisting shovels and filling dumpsters is white.  And everyone manning food stations and shelters is also white.  Notwithstanding that Calgary is home to hundreds of thousands of other races, none seems to be involved in pitching in or boosting spirits.  And the "natives"?  They're exclusively helping their own -- or should I say waiting for someone else to do it.  Shawn Atleo just arrived, hand-out-mouth-open, the usual deal.  His first question was, "We're waiting for all levels of government to act (code for where's the money?)."  Hey Shawn, why not roll up your expensive designer sleeves like everyone else?!

And don't dare call me racist.  I am talking culture here, not race.  But I am calling it. 

1 comment:

  1. YOU GO GIRL - AS USUAL YOU SAY IT AS IT IS!
    HAPPY CANADA DAY - I'm only 4 generations Canadian on my father's side.!!!

    ReplyDelete