Search This Blog

Thursday, June 13, 2013

It doesn't take long for the lungs to fade

"Get going," said young lifeguard Drew this morning, as I stopped in amazement at the end of a lane because for once, no one else was in it.  "I know how you hate sharing, so get moving," he laughed.  I love days when the lane is all mine.  No swimming around people, no waiting for faster swimmers to go first, no polite chatting...just me. 

Headed back yesterday and I had lost quite a bit of lung capacity in the two weeks I had not swum.  "Man," I complained to fellow swimmer D.  "I am a tad out of breath."  "I'm sure," she replied, bursting off.  She's an excellent swimmer with an annoyingly great body for any age, never mind hers (which is about the same as mine). 

Today was a much better story.  I breezed through my sets and felt great.  And it was such fun bitching to D, who viscerally hates and likes all the same swimmers I do and don't.  The aqua-fit sisterhood was in today -- or should I say "aqua-size".  I swear they get bigger every day!  As I said to D, if I wanted to look like that, I'd take that class.  But I don't.  The instructor, who calls out the moves, plays her own personal lousy CDs and is generally a miserable b-tch, is the largest of the herd.  And no one is even breathing hard!

Stepping gingerly on the merciless scales, I was delighted to see I had not gained any weight.  A miracle, considering all the out-of-bounds eating and drinking in which I indulged.  Seeing the familiar number I said to no one in particular, "No weight gain?  What's the point of coming here!"  One of the regulars overheard and laughed uproariously.  "Yeah, really," she agreed.   

It's great to be back in the pool.       

No comments:

Post a Comment