Search This Blog

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Nothing's changed

Still hate all the people I used to hate at the Royal Ottawa Golf Club and they still hate me.  Still love all the people I used to love and they still love me -- especially the maitre d' and the staff.  I seem to gravitate to the workers everywhere I go.  They all came running over and we had wonderful catch-ups. 

"Has it been two years?" said one.  "I wondered where you guys were.  Calgary!  Do you like it?"  Love it, we replied.  "Everyone is young, lots of money and lots of energy....and of course, my grandson, the reason we moved there," I said.

Stepson Scott treated us and his roomate to a wonderful evening at the ROGC.  Laughed 'til my sides ached, re-living hideous moments from his childhood and adolescence.  And there were some beautes -- mostly involving underage jaunts to sample Hull's notorious nightlife.  Been there, done that.  Back in the day, the drinking age in Quebec was 20, instead of Ontario's 21.  So naturally, we all zoomed over the IP Bridge at 18 to buy beer and wine, which we took to a Rockcliffe lookout and consumed in our parents' cars.  I remember some pretty dreadful pink, sparkling liquid, was it Baby Duck or that ooze in the funny-shaped bottle?  Mateuse?  Yuck!

Other afternoons we'd head over to the Ottawa House, or the "OH", as we called it.  There we'd purchase 20 drafts for 10 cents each, served in tiny juice glasses on a large tray.  That, or we'd opt for huge quarts.  Everything came with a salt shaker (?).  Remember those disgusting pickled eggs in jars?  These afternoons were usually rainy ones when we'd skip classes at Carleton to indulge ourselves.  So, why it should come as a surprise that my kids were doing exactly the same thing, I have no idea?  If you grew up in Ottawa you spent a lot of time in Hull, where no self-respecting sleezy tavern waiter would dare ask for ID.  Afterall one of our father's might have been a judge or a police chief?!

All this after a great lunch with a CRA colleague, one of the classiest women you will ever meet.  Thanks "F".

  

No comments:

Post a Comment