Search This Blog

Saturday, June 1, 2013

Why not shave your legs?!

She was using a huge, square emery board and working away furiously on her nails.  Problem was, this was on the plane, across the aisle from me, not in the privacy of her own boudoir.  Hey, why not shave your legs and clip your toenails while you're at it?!  All her discarded nail filings were floating and falling everywhere. 

The way she was concentrating convinced me this was a tic, not a repair.  And no matter how much I stared and shot dirty looks, she carried on relentlessly.  Pathetic. 

Some people have no clue about the appropriate location to carry out personal hygiene maintenance.  Reminded me of the woman last year in the locker room of the Y, the one who was clipping her toenails.  Disgusting.  They actually had to post signs in the showers, telling patrons not to "shave, blow the nose, spit or urinate".  Women are still shaving right under the sign.  I kid you not!

We arrived in Ottawa two days ago to a virtual heat wave.  Ah, good old Ottawa.  Heat.  But with it comes the dreaded humidity, something we do not have in Calgary.  But after suffering through a hail storm the other day when the temperature plumeted, I'll take it.  Yep, just put my flowers in and it hails.  Perfect. 

Having a great time with my cousin and his wonderful wife (didn't like the first one, but adore this one).  Rehashing our idyllic childhood, we have come up to the same conclusion: it was perfect.  Growing up around the block from each other, D is more akin to a brother than a cousin.  I adored his mother and father, the latter of whom is still living at 97.  Can't wait to visit him this weekend.  "Will he remember me?" I asked D.  "Of course he will, I told him you were coming and he was thrilled."

After two years, Ottawa remains the same -- except for way more traffic.  Where has everyone come from??   

No comments:

Post a Comment