Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Always happens to me

"No, this is on me, I am an owner at WestJet," said Matt, the steward.  For some reason, he "comped" everything I ate and drank the whole flight.  I saw him taking credit cards from everyone else, but not me??!!

Is it because I talk to them and ask about their lives?  Must be.  Try it. 

When we turned the car in, I asked "Dave" all about his background.  Turns out he went to Nepean High School, as did our daughter.  Then we grabbed a bite to eat and I learned "Patrick", our waiter, was a soccer star in high school, remains a fanatic, his favourite team being Manchester United.  We got preferential treatment, I can assure you.

It's not that I am cynical, but I do make a point of treating serving staff as real people.  Obviously, it pays off.

Home now and grandson and I spent the entire day together, grocery shopping, swimming and mooching around Market Mall.  When he arrived first thing, he ran up and put his little arms out.  Hadn't forgotten me.  He's what it's all about.        

No comments:

Post a Comment