Search This Blog

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Ice cubes

Used to have an ice-maker in our old fridge, but no longer here in Calgary.  Just one more thing to go wrong, as I experienced with my JennAir fridge of a few years ago. 

But I have to say, JennAir is fantastic about service.  After calling the dealer through which we had bought the appliance about a thousand times (good old "bad" Ottawa), I finally called the 1-800-JennAir number.  "May I help you?" the agent asked in a deep southern accent.  Knowing I was somewhere in the South, I immediately anticipated, well, no help.  Wrong.  She quickly looked up my service record and said, "Oh, Mrs. Marley-Clarke, I would be so frustrated about what you have gone through with your ice-maker.  Just hold on a minute while I set up an appointment for you with our regional service manager."

Whaaaat?  I hadn't even opened my mouth, but she knew all about my mess.  Within a matter of minutes, she had set up the appointment, checked to see if it were alright with me and booked the repair.  Obviously, this phone agent had been authorized to actually use common sense and approve repairs to a certain dollar limit.  I was very, very impressed.  For $200, JennAir has received countless raves from me when I recount this story.  Very good advertising.

Back to ice.  I now have a hard plastic bin in my freezer which I fill with cubes from my old-fashioned trays, just like my darling father did.  He was a chemist and physicist and knew how to make ice.  I know this sounds ridiculous, but he taught me how to eject cubes from the trays without leaving behind all the leftover bits and chunks sticking to them.  You turn the trays over and run them under lukewarm water, which expands the plastic, allowing the cubes to pop right out.  Physics at work.  Brilliant.

I vividly remember him doing this for two days before my parents held one of their neighbourhood bridge parties.  Over and over he would fill a plastic bin in the fridge with perfect ice. 

Nothing cheesy or skimpy about it.  When you came to our place, your beverage was well-iced. 

2 comments:

  1. "Knowing I was somewhere in the South, I immediately anticipated, well, no help."

    I'm sorry you feel that way.

    My 90-year-old mother is down in Atlanta, visiting me from Toronto. We took a 2,600 mile road trip to and from south Texas, traveling through Georgia, Alabama and Louisiana to get there. In almost every restaurant, store or business we went into, my mother was astounded at the friendliness and helpfulness of Southerners.

    "Welcome to...(our store), "Can I help you?" "Did you find everything you were looking for?" "Would you like a refill?", "Let me get that for you.", "Come back and see us." She found it to be in stark contrast to customer service back home.

    I remember checking out in a grocery store in the West Island of Montreal. The transaction was accomplished without one syllable being uttered. There was no "Welcome", "Have a nice day", "That will be $12.75" or "Here's your change."... in either language.

    I don't know what has made you feel that way but on behalf of The South, I would like to apologize for his/her behavior.

    Come back and see us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my "Canada" hat on when I anticipated "no help". I was pleasantly surprised!

      Delete