Search This Blog

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Second-guessed myself

What hat should I wear to the English tea?  The large or the small brimmed?  Couldn't decide, but a hat I was going to wear.  "Oh, they'll say, 'who does she think she is'", said L at the pool yesterday when I told her about the event.  She was talking about the average poorly, under-dressed Calgarian. 

Yes, that's right.  In Calgary if you wear anything other than a cowboy hat you're pompous.  In Ottawa, however, if you wear a cowboy hat you're pompous.  So I started to wonder about the hat.  The occasion was a high tea at The Ranchmen's Club, in honour of the 100th anniversary of the erection of the present building, to which the British grandsons of one of the founders had been invited.  "Just bring it in the car and if women are wearing hats, put it on," advised B. 

Did I do that?  No.  Didn't bring one at all and as I entered the room was confronted with a roomful of hats -- none of which was as gorgeous as most of mine.  Dumb.  This blog is not called "The View from Hats and Heels" for nothing and for the life of me, can't understand how I backed off?!  Next time I see L at the pool, going to blame her.

As usual, the event was perfect.  Little crustless sandwiches, scones with clotted cream, chocolates, tea....you name it and of course, champagne.  "My dear, could I speak to you?" an elderly woman asked.  "I hope I'm not offending you, but I just wanted to say that it's great to see a woman in high heels with beautiful legs."  I was flabbergasted.  Now, I do know that my legs (from the knees down) are still pretty good.  Plus, I don't have "cankles" and my feet are still in very good shape.  Hey, my legs are the reason I still wear high heels!  But she went on:  "And the fact you have let your hair go grey and cut it short is another plus," she added.  "Most women dye it way past their due date." 

Too funny.  Wore a jacket I hadn't been able to properly fit into before I lost the weight, about which a past-club-president said, "What an elegant jacket."  Score another for the old broads!  Never let them see the whites of your eyes, I say. 

I learned a lot of history about the club, thanks to the research done by staff and the speeches made.  It began in a railway car, progressed to a house and then to the present-day magnificent premises.  The only untoward event of the afternoon was when one of the British brothers collapsed from exhaustion.  In came the paramedics and the fire department and out he was taken on a stretcher.

No one seemed to miss a beat, collective concern notwithstanding. 

    

        

No comments:

Post a Comment