Search This Blog

Monday, June 17, 2013

An absolutely brilliant movie

Happened upon 'Goin' Down the Road' this evening.  What a brilliant movie.  Had not seen it for 43 years.  Still a superb movie.  Director Don Shebib did a masterful job capturing the reality of Toronto for two guys from Nova Scotia trying to make a go of it. 

They don't, of course.

But everything about the movie was perfect.  The filming, the starkness, the sound, the black-and-white, the dialogue.  It almost seemed like a documentary, so real was it.  I remember seeing it in Toronto in 1970 at a theatre on Yonge, just south of Bloor.  Walking out, I saw one of the stars, Paul Bradley, smiling at everyone as we exited.  Weird, I thought.  I didn`t even recognize him until I thought about it later, but it was he.  Very bizarre he was there.   He died of alcoholism a few years ago.  Sad.   

Listening to the soundtrack, I thought I recognized the singer.  When the credits rolled, of course, my old buddy Bruce Cockburn was singing 'Goin' Down the Road'.  I understand Shebib made a sequel last year.  Not sure I could watch it, the original being so perfect. 

No one but a Canadian could possibly appreciate 'Goin' Down the Road'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment