Search This Blog

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Grammar and editing nazi emerges

Sitting here, reading through 'Cottage Life', I scanned the editorial.  So many errors, couldn't count them.  Here's one:

"...and now she is the parent, and here she was standing on the screened porch...."

Should be:

"...and now she was the parent, standing on the screened porch"....don't need all those other words.

Another:

"It doesn't bother me when non-cottagers take shots at us." 

Should be:

"It doesn't bother me when non-cottagers take shots."  Don't need the "at us" part.

More:

"I felt proud to be able to share our riches with our overseas family.  Cottagers are not all wealthy; but we are all privileged."

No no, should be:

"I felt proud to have been able to share our riches with overseas family.  Cottagers are not all wealthy, but are privileged."  Don't need the "we and all" part.  See how it works?  She had neither the tense, nor the punctuation, right.  Too many words.

It just went on and on. .................

"There is one thing we should all agree on, though."

Should be:

"There is one thing upon which we should agree."....what's with the "though"?

Another.......

"I sometimes wonder this myself, and I understand  how counterintuitive our pathological desire must seem."

How about............

"I sometimes wonder and understand (don't need the "this myself, and I" part) how counter-intuitive our pathological desires."

See, too many words in her version. 

Another....

"We live in an extraordinary natural world."

No, it's........."extraordinarily natural...."  She could have written, "extraordinary and natural", but it's never "extraordinary natural". 

Told you I was a fanatic.  But that's why I love writing; so deliciously satisfying when you get it right. 

My editing knowledge was gleaned from one Jean Portugal, a battle-axe editor at Maclean-Hunter, where I learned my craft "Mad Men" style.  My work would return from her ruthless desk riddled with red ink and editor's marks.  But I sure learned fast in the days when Roy MacGregor (yes, that Roy MacGregor) occupied the desk next to mine.  You could spot his talent a mile away.  

By the way, never put a comma before "and" because "and" replaces the comma.  This editor did it quite a few times, in spite of the fact that she is well-paid to be both poor writer and lousy editor.  And by the way, never use the word "gotten", it's not even a word.  Find the proper one.  I could go on, but will leave it at that.

No, I won't.  The editor who penned this mess was "Penny Caldwell", her editorial entitled: 'Tears and Jeers'.  Well, it's "jeers" to you, Pen.

As a professionally-trained editor and writer, I was constantly appalled (don't need "that" here) one of my managers at CRA -- someone who started on a counter in Sudbury for G-d's sake, Sue Wormington -- actually had the nerve to continually try and re-write my reports.  Another one who couldn't keep her mitts off my stuff was Monica Jones.  That one was in a class all her own!  Note to smarty-pant's everywhere:  read a CV before you start correcting better-educated staff. 

Annoying.



 



No comments:

Post a Comment